Dear Girl Scouts,
As we navigate the uncharted waters of school closings, parents and caregivers working from home, event cancelations, and social distancing to contain the spread of COVID-19, I wanted to reach out to each of you with a message of support. Our first priority at Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta is to focus on how we can support each of you – our girls, families, and volunteers – in the days and weeks ahead. This message shares how we’re working to keep you both safe and engaged in Girl Scouting as our ability to meet in person is limited. It also provides answers to many of your questions on what to expect in the weeks ahead.
During the next several weeks, I will be communicating with you more often via e-mail and through our blog as guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Georgia Department of Public Health, school districts and other government agencies changes and evolves. Please share this information with others in your troop, service unit or community who may not have access to email and any members of the community who may benefit from the resources that Girl Scouts is providing.
Council Events: In light of current federal guidance discouraging gatherings of ten or more people, all in-person council events through mid-May are postponed or cancelled. This includes all camp events, cookie program events, and the council Annual Meeting.
- For camp events, refunds will be issued to your group in the same form as your original payment. Camporees cancelled during this time will be given first priority to reschedule for the fall.
- The Smiles4Military event for April 18 is cancelled, and participating girls will be mailed their recognition certificate and reward.
- The Cookie CEO event at the GA Aquarium will be rescheduled for a later date.
- The council Annual Meeting tentatively will be rescheduled for August 20, pending the availability of The Home Depot Store Support Center.
- Troop Meetings & Volunteer Events: For the safety of our community, we are requiring in-person troop meetings, service unit events and other volunteer-led meetings to be cancelled through mid-May.
- Girl Scout Activities This Week: While your troop may not be able to meet in person, we encourage troops to use free videoconferencing technology like Skype or Facetime to have a virtual troop meeting. Troop leaders can take advantage of meeting guides and other program content on the Volunteer Toolkit to simplify meeting planning.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Girl Scouts are a force for good in helping to make our community a better place. Each week, we will highlight a different way that members of our Girl Scout movement can safely serve the community. Look for opportunities beginning in Monday’s GS News.
- Virtual Girl Scout Programming: We are working together with Girl Scouts of the USA and our sister councils throughout the country to provide virtual Girl Scout program opportunities through an online platform that will launch the week of March 23. The platform will provide videos, program content, and resources to do activities remotely.
- Cookie Program: While booth sales are postponed, we encourage all girls and troops with remaining cookie inventory to use Digital Cookie to sell inventory for contact-less porch delivery or delayed in person delivery when social distancing ends. We will be communicating additional Digital Cookie opportunities to members later this week after details are finalized.
- Spring Renewal: Early-bird membership renewal, previously scheduled to begin April 1, 2020, will be delayed until further notice. Girl and adult members who wish to renew their memberships for 2021, and new members who are interested in our new member deal may still register beginning on April 1 through our Website.
- Share Your Stories: While you are missing your regular Girl Scout activities and friends, we hope you’ll use social media to share the creative ways you’re engaging with your Girl Scout troop and community during this time. Tag us @GirlScoutsATL or use the hashtag #GirlScoutStrong.
- Helpline: Our helpline is open! You may still contact us with questions or concerns during regular business hours at email@example.com or 800-771-1139.
Yours in Girl Scouting,
Amy S. Dosik
CEO, Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta